A Watchman or Lookout
God uses “called” people to accomplish his work. The prophet Ezekiel was called and made a Watchman for the exiles in Babylon. The role of the Watchman is found in many places throughout biblical history. The watchman was posted on the highest place on the city wall or on a tower in the agrarian community to observe possible danger and alert the people.
God has a CALL for everyone to serve
- Ezekiel’s call
- When God speaks we should STAND UP
- Spirit of the Lord CAME INTO Ezekiel
God has a WORD for everyone
- To SAVE his people
- To CORRECT his people
- To LISTEN to the Spirit
God appoints a WATCHMAN (a spiritual watchman)
- A watchman was to:
- WATCH—God’s prophet as a LOOKOUT! Isaiah 21:6, 8
- Share the WORD of God!
- God is calling you to be a watchman!
Personal and Group Study
1. Who is your favorite prophet in the Bible and why? What stands out about that prophet? What are some of the highlights in his ministry? What do you know about Ezekiel?
2. Women prophetess of the Bible: Miriam, Exodus 15:20; Deborah, Judges 4:4; Anna, Luke 2:36.
3. What do you recall from Ezekiel 2 regarding the call of Ezekiel?
4. List some biblical characters who received a call from God to do something? Give a brief synopsis of the story. Do a brief study of these characters and their call.
- Abraham, Genesis 12:1-4
- Moses, Exodus 3:1-10
- Samuel, 1 Samuel 3:1-10
- Paul, 1 Cor. 1:1
5. Refer to other “WATCHMAN” in the Bible: 1 Samuel 14:16; 2 Kings 9:17; Psalm 127:1; 2 Samuel 18:24-27; Isaiah 56:10; Habakkuk 2:1; Jeremiah 31:6.
6. Who would be an equivalent of a watchman today? Review the role of the watchman.
7. The sermon referred to the watchman as a LOOKOUT. Who are you “looking out” for?” Who is “looking out for you” spiritually and otherwise?