The Return of Jesus
The RETURN [1 Thessalonians 4:13-18]
When Jesus left His followers and went to heaven, angels promised that Jesus “will come back” (Acts 1:11). No one knows when that will happen, but we’re taught two encouraging truths from Paul:
- The dead live with Jesus Christ and will return with Him.
- Listen for sounds, don’t look for signs.
- Listen for Jesus’ command.
- Listen for Michael’s battle cry.
- Listen for the trumpet.
AWAKEN [1 Thessalonians 5:1-11]
The prince of this world (John 14:30) has lulled so many to sleep. People are trying to build their personal kingdoms on this earth and they forget that they are to pray, “Let your kingdom come.” Since the return of Jesus will come like a thief in the night, how should we live?
- Awaken to salvation.
- Awaken to faith.
- Awaken to love.
Study and Discussion Questions
1. How much do you think about Jesus’ return? Why is there a silence today among Christians about the Lord’s return for His people? Are the people around you ready to meet God?
2. What will it be like to live with God: “We’ll be with the Lord forever” (1 Th. 4:1)? Sadly, many people dread dying and having to face God. Do these qualities describe you? If you are pure in heart, you will see God (Mt. 5:8). You must be holy in order to see God (Heb. 12:14). You desire God more than anything on earth (Ps. 73:25). What makes you blameless?
3. What does it mean to be watchful? “Be alert and keep on praying” (Eph. 6:18). “Be on guard; stand firm” (1 Cor. 16:13). “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful” (Col. 4:2). “Be alert and self-controlled” (1 Th. 5:6). “Be alert” (2 Tim. 4:5). “Be clear minded and self-controlled” (1 Pt. 4:7). “I come like a thief! Blessed is he who stays awake” (Rev. 16:15).
4. Read 2 Peter 3:10-14. Since the return of Jesus will come when no one suspects, how should we conduct ourselves? What does it mean for us to: “live holy and godly lives” (3:11)? To “wait eagerly” (3:12)? To “be found spotless, blameless and at peace with Him” (3:14)?
Applying the Word to Life
5. Are you ready for Jesus to return? Will you be “caught up” with God in the air (1 Thessalonians 4:17), or will you be left behind to endure God’s wrath? The only thing that can make you ready is to believe and confess (Romans 10:9-10).
6. Are you awake? Are you alert enough to notice Satan’s schemes? How strong is your faith? How deep is your love?